Basic Security Tips

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Basic Security Tips

Post  Rails Bailey on Thu May 15, 2008 1:11 pm

Where to start ?

Lets start with basics, learn to read profiles, a persons profile is a reasonable indication of whether their intentions are good or bad. Reasonable, not guaranteed, nothing is.

Abuse Report's
Commonly called AR's
On Help Islands, Orientation Islands and Welcome Areas, the magic number is 5. Where new residents arrive or congregate they float to the top pretty quickly.

If you find an underage resident on the grid, abuse report is the only way to go, Again the magic number is five, but because it is a minor they float to the top faster irrespective of where they are on the grid, and dont forget to use the age category.

Is it acceptable to copy/paste chat, only in abuse reports. Anything outside of that is a breach of the TOS.

Which brings us to the TOS or LL terms of service.

Recently changed. Its too long to post here, but follow this link for the full version http://secondlife.com/corporate/tos.php

Getting Information

Linden Labs have a great wiki set up, if you have the time to search it. From a mentor point of view, time is not a resource we have. So like the ABC and this great site, I have started to get as many useful wiki and other weblinks, into one wiki area. Its a work in progress and mainly aimed at mentors, but the information it contains and the links to other wiki pages and webpages is priceless.

I am not pushing mentors here, I am advising you of information resources. You decide ! https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mental_Mentors
Rails Bailey

View user profile http://doctorgascoigne.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Chat Spam

Post  Rails Bailey on Fri May 16, 2008 9:48 am

Chat spam - groan

If there is chat spam in the area, the best thing to do is dress down to a basic new resident avie, we all have them in our inventory library, they never get deleted.

Why? the majority of spammer scripts work on scripted objects, hence the blue drop down box. The less scripted objects you wear, the more chance you have of getting rid of the drop down box.

"XYZ Want's to animate your avatar", click yes as many times as you have to to clear the drop down box. when you have done that, go to preferences (Control + P) and uncheck "Chat uses full screen width".

Then log out, clear cache and log back in.

Because you can now see half of your screen, you stand a better chance of finding the object.

You can also put yourself in busy mode.

When you have found the object, right click, edit, owner profile, and creator profile, sometimes they are different, both people need to be abuse reported.

If, as sometimes happens, there is no owner or creator name, file an abuse report against a Linden. Totally acceptable. However, in the description field of the AR state something like "had to use xyz Linden because creator/owner name not present", that tells LL that you are not the abuser.

Include a screen shot too. Provide as much evidence as is possible, including SL time and Local time and date. The more evidence you provide, the better equipped LL is to trace the creator and owner. Provide too little and they may not even bother with it.

After you have taken all the steps required, go to preferences, network tab, press the clear cache button, log out and log back in again.

I have my pc set up so that clear cache is dont on every start up, automatically

Last edited by Rails Bailey on Fri May 16, 2008 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
Rails Bailey

Back to top Go down

Weapons in SL

Post  Rails Bailey on Fri May 16, 2008 9:52 am

Weapons

A hot topic and greatly debated. Such arguments as; they are armless, they cant hurt you, all you have to do is relog.

What people forget is that SL is a visual experience. No one knows what the person at the keyboard has been through in their RL. Until you have had a loaded weapon pointed at you, you will never understand (personal opinion).

Weapons in SL, there are those that are for show, they look cool. The problem is, only the owner knows if they are scripted or not.

If you come across avatars with visible weapons on them, and you will see the visible ones, go to highlight transparent, and see the ones they are holding in their hands.

Its an SL trick, it gives the visual impression of a quick draw. When a avatar elects to "tool" up, they are given a choice to attach all part of the weapons system, or only selected parts.

From my stand point, if they have elected to attach all weapon components, and they walk into a no weapons area, then they are fair game, simply because they made the choice.

Remember, highlight transparent, it shows everything.

Weapons you cant see. HUD's, Head Up Displays. A favourite of griefers, How do I know this ? Simple. To understand a griefer and what they can and are capable of doing, you need to have the same resources they do, and that means the same weapons.

Only the owner can see the HUD's they are wearing, on their respective PC screens.

That is what makes HUD's dangerous, you cant see them.

I carry HUD's, not for attack, but for the various useful features that huds have. I have one that can scan up to 5k away, very useful tool.

One last point on HUD's, if you use them as a self defence mechanism, you can be abuse reported. My advice is to take all that is thrown at you by any potential threat.

Ban and abuse report. If you only ban someone, the problem still exists and that individual has just got away with a griefing incident and will move on to other pastures. Add the abuse report element.

The system does work, if everyone uses it.

Sleep

Last edited by Rails Bailey on Fri May 16, 2008 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : forgot title)
Rails Bailey

Back to top Go down

Stalking In SL

Post  Rails Bailey on Fri May 16, 2008 9:56 am

Stalking in SL

Does it happen ? Unfortunately it does, with too much regularity. The average SL user doesnt hear about it, unless they are being stalked.

Does it pertain to security ? Very much so. Here are some things you can do to reduce the prospect of it ever happening to you:

1. Never give out your SL access password, might sound a silly thing to say, but, people do, do it. If LL find out about it, they will close your account.

2. Never put RL pictures on your profile, again people do it.

3. Your profile pics, if you find your self in the position of being stalked, remove them and replace them with places you never go.

4. Vary your login patterns, people become predicatable. If a person can predict when you log in, then you need to change your SL patterns.

5. Never give out personal details, such as your email address, RL phone number, where you live in the RL. Again people do, and often to strangers they dont really know.

6. Stalkers use threats, it a mind game, a power over another person trip. They say things like "I know Lindens and can get to you anytime I want". That in itself is an abuse report event. Abuse report it and include the chat, even from person to person IM.

7. Go off line, cancel your account, create an alt, that means they have won. You dont need to do any of these. Stand up to them, and in most cases they will back down and find an easier target.

8. Tell someone you are being stalked. There is nothing to be ashamed of. Friends can be a good deterrent. I myself have IM'd people and said such things as "Hey mate, leave my RL mother alone".

Is it real ? In one sense it is, because it happens in SL. In another sense it isn't, because people have never met these people in RL.

SL is a 3D interactive environment, people at keyboards around the world. Some of you have met in RL. For the most part, most dont, so people play computer mind games. Power trips, perceived power over people. You can stop it, you can break the cycle.

Sleep
Rails Bailey

Back to top Go down

That Gift !!!

Post  Rails Bailey on Fri May 16, 2008 10:02 am

For some unknown reason I find things, it happens, I cant explain why.

In-world I was given an object called a Halo-vender, by a person I trust.

I rezzed the object, it turned out to be a green newb cube. I touched it and it asked for perms.

My friend touched it, in my prescence, and I watched my Lindens disappear. He gave them back. - phew.

My actions were to delete the object, rezz a fresh one, abuse report it, it showed my mate as the creator, so obviously it assumes the creator as the person who originally bought the object. (It costs around 27K).

After I filed the AR, I contacted live support for a pick up. LL need to be aware of these things and like to pull them apart. It took approximately 6 hours for a pick up. In-world liasons are busy.

After doing all that I boxed it in an object that showed what was underneath, I also added floating text, that said pick-up by LL.

From a security persepective the moral is:

Dont accept gifts from people you dont know. Dont assume that everything is as it appears to be. Dont grant perms from an object that asks for them, unless you are 100 % certain.

Box suspicious objects, abuse report them and leave them in place for a pick-up, arrange that pick-up if you can. The only way to stop this type of behaviour is to abuse report and let LL pull them to pieces, deleting them gets rid of the immediate threat, but the threat still exists elsewhere. Use the system, and the system will then protect all SL residents

Sleep
Rails Bailey

Back to top Go down

Ban or Abuse Report ??

Post  Rails Bailey on Fri May 16, 2008 10:04 am

Ban or Abuse Report ?

ABC admin have ban powers, yet as with all powers they should be used wisely. Not saying you can't ban people, yet a few words before a ban can save a lot of trouble.

AS SL gets bigger and more nationalities join, there will be occassions where people simply dont understand, and it might be in every admins interest to call for an interpretor from within ABC friends.

If you absolutely have to ban an individual, then follow it up with an abuse report.

Whilst banning from ABC solves the immediate threat, that threat has moved to other places.

Try and get into the habit of filing an abuse report too.

The system does work if used by everyone.

A word of caution, if you file an abuse report that is based on no facts or evidence, LL will not persue it.

In addition, do not manufacture facts to support evidence, or manufacture evidence to support facts.

Abuse reports are a double edged sword, use them wisely, LL have taken action against people who submit erroneous reports.

Sleep
Rails Bailey

Back to top Go down

Finding Buried Objects

Post  Rails Bailey on Fri May 16, 2008 10:08 am

Its funny how you forget things, then during a conversion important issues float to the top.

Finding buried objects is the topic.

I have accidently buried objects into the ground and thought, "oh damn".

I have looked for some strange things in second life and was taught this workaround, so I am going to share it with you.

Press Control + Shift + R and that will bring up the wire rendering view, useful for finding buried objects.

What has this got to do with security, I hear you ask !!

Griefers are sneaky, not everything they leave behind is in plain view.

Sleep
Rails Bailey

Back to top Go down

Information Resources

Post  Rails Bailey on Fri May 16, 2008 10:12 am

Information Resources, or how do I find out about this and that.

A much often overlooked subject.

In any part of your real life and this carries over into second life, information resources surround you.

Nobody knows everything, that is fact, but as a group or team, the said environment is a treasure trove of knowledge.

Experienced ABC admin are good sources of information, for one simple reason, they have been there.

Google, search the internet. Obvious.

SLX or Second Life Exchange. You can find a lot of useful information relating to objects you may find in second life.

When you say to a person "xxx object is a weapon" and they respond by saying "Is it", if you can throw the makers specs at them, gained from SLX, then you have the advantage.

Obviously this does not work for individual builds, but it does for commercially available builds.

Wiki is another source of information, in my role as a mentor I have put together a comprehensive wiki page for mentors, mentioned in a previous post.

Sleep
Rails Bailey

Back to top Go down

The Hard Luck Story

Post  Rails Bailey on Fri May 16, 2008 10:16 am

The Hard Luck Story

For whatever reason, my colleagues like to pick my brains, it happened again recently.

I dont have a problem sharing experiences, even bad ones where I have been taken for a ride, Details are not important, but I got taken for approximately 120 US$ real money. A classic con job and I fell for it, hook, line and sinker. This was six months back, so it is well and truly water under the bridge.

Where is this leading - I hear you ask.

We all run PC's else how do we access the internet and second life. They are not cheap, and they do break down or require an upgrade, everything has a shelf life.

Some of us are not in the position where we can pop to the shop to buy a new bit, we have to save or go without. Its a fact of life.

Owning and running a PC is a personal cost, it has nothing to do with residents in second life, it has nothing to do with friends in second life.

If you are approached with a hard luck story - example "my PC is not performing as well as it should blah blah blah", resist the temptation to offer out-world help, it has consequences, and anyone can fabricate a hard luck story to get your real world money.

I know, it has happened to me.

Sleep affraid
Rails Bailey

Back to top Go down

The Dilemma's of voice

Post  Rails Bailey on Fri May 16, 2008 10:20 am

Two recent incidents in SL bring this post, so its a double dose.

Voice

Was at a well known location, responded to a shout from a Mentor, kid on the main grid, we tend to take this seriously, for obvious reasons.

This one was different, a couple of kids were using SL and using voice. Predicament !

Voice is hard to abuse report, but because it was a kid(s), we ar'ed anyway.

In such situations you can do that, add the name of the alleged abuser, use the age category, because if floats to the top of the pile faster, then add in the statement, the necessary details.

Back to AR's

Got another shout to another well known location. Image spammer, with sounds and replicator functions.

Located one, held it in edit, seems to stop them replicating. Ar'ed the owner and also the creator.

Why the creator ? Well LL believe in freedom to create, its the human element that decides how something will be used. This particular object was created for one use only, to cause griefing, so the creator got ar'ed too.

That is why it is so important, to click edit on any suspicous objects that you find, its a personal call to decide wether to just AR the owner, or AR both the owner and creator.

Experience will teach you when to make that judgement.

Sleep
Rails Bailey

Back to top Go down

That Uninvited TP

Post  Rails Bailey on Fri May 16, 2008 10:29 am

So I was updating the security element of "Wolfie's Posse" (am rather attached to that name) lol!

Anyway, this came to the surface in my mind, and yes it is relevant to security.

The un-invited tp.

I get them with regularity, for the most part I know who is asking me to join them, some I decline, some I attend, it rather depends on what I am doing at the time of the request.

There have been instances where a tp request has come out of the blue, and I ask myself, "do I know that person".

Yes I do talk to myself while sitting at my PC.

I do not tp to anyone I do not know, there has been instances where a certain group of people have been tp'd to a location, only to arrive and be griefed by a individual.

I cannot go into details, for obvious reasons, but it has happened.

So its a personal choice whether you elect to respond to a tp request.

For myself, I have adopted a new strategy, If I get a un-invited tp, I take that person off my friends list. It works for me.

Having said that, there are some people who offer an un-invited tp and they are still friends, why, simply because if they want me there, at their location, its for an important reason. It all boils down to judgement.

Sleep
Rails Bailey

Back to top Go down

Re: Basic Security Tips

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top